Autocar U7144T.

Antony

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It comes from TootallMikes unique radio-bodied Autocar. It was used as an air traffic control vehicle at Gatwick after the war, then it went to Phillips in Croydon who used it for testing radio and radar gear. The body rear body was then scrapped in the 1980's (by Phillips) and the chassis shortened and a twin boom Holmes crane from a Diamond T fitted by a recovery company who had bought it. We know this as we spoke to an ex-Phillips employee who worked with the vehicle for many years.

Mikes Autocar restoration will be started later this year. We need to wait for drier weather to extract it from the field where it currently lives.

Vince

We have acquired a better cab for Mikes Autocar, so Roy now has Mikes old cab.

I should say that we have acquired an original rear chassis cross member with which we will restore the chassis to it's original length. The intention is to restore the vehicle as a chassis cab pending further info on the radio body. Very few pictures of these exist as only a couple of hundred were built. If anybody has any info on these, please let us know.

(sorry for hi-jacking this thread)

Vince

Here's a picture of it behind Mike Ward that I found.

Autocar.jpg

Edited by Grasshopper

Will you be refitting the clutch, or is it in working order.

When I took my timing cover off to install new oil seals, I had to put speedi repair sleeves on the crank and water pump drive, as they wer deeply scored.

John Gott

Hi John,

The clutch is free, and seems to be in good order, but an in depth examination will follow. I don't envisage much progress in the near future, untill the weather improves.

Tony.

• 4 months later...

A bit more progress is being made on the Autocar, random examination of big end bearing caps and main bearings have shown the crankshaft and bearings are in very good order, The oil pump has been taken apart and cleaned, the sump replaced, as has the timing gear cover with new oil seals. A replacement compresser, a new water pump and new exhaust system have been fitted. The starter motor has had a thorough examination and bolted back in position, connected to a battery and with spark plugs removed, it spun the engine over and oil pumped up. The next step is to fit the ignition system, mount a radiator, fill it with water and try and start it!

HPIM0405.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Roy phoned this evening with the news that he had started the engine today. After a few cough's it burst into life and ran rather well. He couldn't run it for long because the radiater was a fairly temperary affair without a header tank or room to fit the fan. Nevertheless it is quite an achievement considering that it has spent 30 or 40 years in the bushes in Beke's yard, and been fire damaged too.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update from me, as Antony is temporarily out of action - hope you're up and about soon!

Engine was run up for me today and sounds lovely - hopefully it will prove a good one after a proper shake down (once the radiator is finally sorted allowing a longer run).

Rear of cab is pretty much ready to put back on the chassis - the remainder of the parts from both cabs which haven't already turned to powder are being readied for blasting and 'cherry picking' :shocked:

This restoration is definitely not one for the squeamish - lots done but lots more to do, but once the cab is back together there'll be no stopping him :D

Autocar Cab Kit.jpg

A quick update from me, as Antony is temporarily out of action - hope you're up and about soon!

Engine was run up for me today and sounds lovely - hopefully it will prove a good one after a proper shake down (once the radiator is finally sorted allowing a longer run).

Rear of cab is pretty much ready to put back on the chassis - the remainder of the parts from both cabs which haven't already turned to powder are being readied for blasting and 'cherry picking' :shocked:

This restoration is definitely not one for the squeamish - lots done but lots more to do, but once the cab is back together there'll be no stopping him :D

Thanks Tony,

I am getting better each day, and will soon be fit enough to drive over to take some more picture's. Meanwhile Roy's daughter took some pictures this morning and emailed to me, some of which I will put on the blog.

An update on the Autocar, pictures from Alison.

With the radiator in a temporary position, the vehicle has been driven outside with happily no nasty noises from the transmission. Although this was no test drive, it looks hopefull there are no problems. The cab base is ready to lift in position, and then the repaired nose section will follow with the doors being used to fix the correct spacing from the cab base. The doors will need extensive repairs but they can be used for getting the upright door posts in the correct place. One of the pictures shows a new section in the control panel.

9July2010 013.jpg

9July2010 020.jpg

9July2010 019.jpg

9July2010 010.jpg

9July2010 004.jpg

9July2010 023.jpg

• 5 months later...

It has been quite a while since I last reported on the project, but there has been quite a lot of progress on the cab, but still a way to go yet. I rolled a pair of front mudguards, at work,( thanks Adrian ) which have been fitted, allowing the side panels to be fitted to the radius of the mudguards, and the windscreen frame has been attached. An original radiator will be very difficult to find, but in the meantime a large modern truck one will suffice, a separate header tank will have to be made.

HPIM0672.jpg

HPIM0674.jpg

HPIM0675.jpg

hello

very very nice job

for radiators there is a guy here who have some NOS for near than £400

i will see him next week,if you interested i can ask him if he have still some availaible

nice autocar !! congratulation

willy

Hi Willy,

I would be interested in one of these if they are available.

Where are you/they?

Thanks - Mike

for radiators there is a guy here who have some NOS for near than £400

i will see him next week,if you interested i can ask him if he have still some availaible

Hi Willy, I have sent you a pm on behalf of Roy re. radiator and other parts.

Merry Xmas!

Tony

i reply PM

i will have infos for parts and radiators next week

best regards

willy

Thank you Willy,

Myself, Tony (NOS), Roy and Antony are all helping each other locate parts to complete our projects and there are a large number of parts we are looking for. We would be very interested to know what other parts you or your friend have available.

Merci d'avance - Mike

• 3 weeks later...
i can ask infos if someone need some.may be we can collect it and bring in england or in belgium to help.

it's for you jack ??

Hi Willy,

I forgot to post this at the time but I spoke to Bernard and we visited him in October 2009. We came home with a small souvenir of the trip...

PB080106.jpg

PB080107.jpg

Many thanks for drawing our attention to Bernard's truly amazing collection - Mike

• 1 month later...

On the Autocar instrument panel there is a brass plate with an address on it, presumably that of the operator of the vehicle in its civilian life. My Federal has a similar plate, I would be interested to hear if anyone knows if these plates were just for ex military vehicles, or did all comercial trucks have to display the owners details in France post war. Would our our French correspondents be able to provide an answer please?

T_2575.jpg

T_2576.jpg